Today, instead of the usual blog post, I thought it would be more fun to give you a list of 10 interesting/cool/random facts about me.
- My first blog was called “Marian the Foodie” and I started that in 2009. Well, technically 2008, but I didn’t really get into posting regularly until early 2009. The term “Foodie” was not commonly used at the time I chose that name.
- I used to be a writer for CBS Los Angeles and I have an original short story titled “The Dinner Rule” (pg. 87) published in a book called Miso for Life. I’ve blogged/written for several other publications over the years and had a YouTube channel following some of my past food adventures.
- I was born in the Philippines, lived in Camiguin Island until I was 4 years then moved to Los Angeles, went to college in Orange County (Go UCIrvine Anteaters! Zot Zot!) and on July 17, 2014, I moved to Miami, Florida.
- Besides the US and the Philippines, I’ve also lived in Singapore (2005) and Shanghai, China (2007). Both were study abroad programs when I went to UCIrvine. All you students out there… I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you study and live abroad! It is a wonderful and memorable experience, looks great on your resume, plus it’s a great way to contribute some cool stories in conversations.
- I absolutely love to travel. I have a regular case of wanderlust and always seeking my next adventure. I love places where I can experience Mother Nature in all her glory, from the ocean to the jungle to the mountains. Top on my travel bucket list: See the Northern Lights in Norway or Finland, go to the Swiss Alps, swim in the Maldives.
- I’m a certified underwater scuba diver and dove in Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines. I haven’t been diving in many years, but since I live in warmer waters now, I want to get a refresher course and start diving again.
- I speak Tagalog and Visayan/Cebuano (Filipino languages) fluently and a little Mandarin Chinese bc I studied it in college and went to Shanghai for a language and culture immersion program in 2007. But I never practiced after so I forgot a lot of it. I speak a little Spanish because you kind of need to living in Miami.
- I love to cook! I don’t have time to do it as often as I would like but I enjoy hosting dinner parties. I used to host themed dinner parties and was always in charge of Thanksgiving Dinners at my parents’ house.
- My top three favorite cuisines: Japanese, Korea and Thai
- I absolutely love animals but have an extra affinity for cats. I have a kitty named Simba and I am obsessed with her! Yes I am a #catlady.
What are some interesting/fun/random facts about you? Feel free to share in the comments section below.
Follow me on social media to see all my latest stories and photos:
For exciting info on upcoming events and consciously created content, please SUBSCRIBE HERE!