Why I Switched to Natural Deodorants
In my journey to living a more conscious lifestyle, I’ve been more aware about the products I use and what I put on my body. For most of my life, I’ve been using antiperspirant deodorants like Secret and never thought twice about it. It was readily available in all stores, kept me from sweating and it smelled good to me at that time (now my nose is more sensitive and I smell the chemicals more).
I didn’t really think about what was in it, until over 2 years ago when I really started reading labels and doing my research on products and ingredients in products I use all the time. WOW! I was putting a ton of chemicals that were NOT good for my body. No wonder I was having skin issues for years! I had dark, patchy and itchy areas in my armpits. Doctors were telling me that it was just because I needed to exfoliate and moisturize my skin more. Another dermatologist told me that it was a type of fungus, prescribed me pills and topical ointments that didn’t help at all.
What did help me get rid of my dry skin patches and issues was switching to my plant-based diet and using natural deodorants that didn’t have harsh chemicals and aluminum.
Most people that I talk to don’t want to switch because they say natural deodorants don’t keep them from sweating and don’t really cover the smell. I believe everyone has different body chemistries and should try different types of natural alternatives. I encourage everyone to do their own research and go through the process of trail and error. I’m sharing my experience and what I learned.
Here are a few reasons why I switched to natural deodorants:
- Antiperspirants and non-natural deodorants are filled with aluminum and chemicals that are not healthy for your body. Aluminum compounds (like “Aluminum chlorohydrate” and “Aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly”) are common in conventional deodorants and antiperspirants and work by plugging the sweat ducts to prevent or limit perspiration. However, the sweat then build inside your skin and causes bumps, irritation and itchiness.
- Parabens can cause allergic skin reactions! Parabens are also a very common additive in deodorants and many common products such as shampoo, conditioners (I no longer use hair products with parabens, sulfates and silicones) and moisturizer. Companies add parabens because it’s an artificial preservative to increase shelf life but it can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. Like what happened to me all those years!
- Sweating is normal, natural and necessary for the body to release toxins. Sweat isn’t the culprit to the smell of body odor. Sweat is just water and salt. The smell comes from the interaction of sweat and the bacteria that lives on our skin. By using common deodorants and antiperspirants, we prevent our body from releasing toxins. We are fighting our own body’s defense mechanisms.
- No more yellow stains! You know what I’m talking about! That gross, yellowish discoloration on our clothes is actually causes by the chemical reaction of our sweat and the aluminum compounds.
- There have been studies linking high amounts of aluminum in our bodies to Alzheimer’s disease and breast cancer. There have been several studies and research that shows heavy metal toxicity proven to be a major health threat. Most of the time it goes undetected for years because metals get accumulated in the body and food chain gradually. Imagine how much heavy metals we ingest and put into our bodies after years and years of using products with them. This is just one of the studies from the National Institute of Health. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4427717/
- Support cruelty-free brands. Most of the big companies that sell deodorants and antiperspirants are NOT cruelty-free. Which means, they still practice animal testing which is horrific, cruel and unnecessary. I’ve found all the natural brands that I’ve tried are cruelty-free and some are also vegan.
- Nature has everything we need! Natural deodorants use natural and organic ingredients and essential oils that are safer to use. However, as I mentioned, do your own research and try out different brands that work for you. Some people have allergies to certain plants so find out what is best for your body and chemistry.
When I first made the switch, I used Tom’s for a long time. They used to be the only natural and cruelty-free brands I found at Target and other drug stores. Now, I am currently using Vapour Beauty’s AER Next Level Deodorant and Scully’s DeodorMint.
I love Vapour Beauty’s overall company mission and dedication to using natural and organic ingredients. This deodorant smells so good. I love the smell of lavender! It has a thick consistency that lasts a long time. Scully’s is another great deodorant that is a mist spray made up of only 3 ingredients! Triple-filtered alcohol from New York grains, organic mint oils and organic citric acid from grapefruit. That’s it! How amazing is that! It smells fresh and minty. It’s easy to carry around and apply. It reminds me of a breath mint. Plus, they are family owned! 😊
I hope this post helped to shed some light on why you should consider making the switch to natural deodorants. Don’t just take my word for it. Do your own research, test it out and see for yourself!
If you’ve made the switch, what brands do you use?
*This is a Sponsored Post
Follow me on social media to see all my latest stories and photos:
Download your FREE GIFT to help you Release Trauma and Energy Blocks.