Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas with Lemon Garlic Hummus Sauce
I have always had a love and passion for cooking. It’s very therapeutic for me and when I cook, I get into my flow state. Cooking is like magic to me because you take these ingredients and can make something completely different, beautiful and delicious!
For those who have been following me for years, I used to run a blog called Marian the Foodie. My official MTF days are over however, my love for food and cooking still remains. However, my lifestyle has definitely changed to being one focused on holistic health, wellness and being plant-based. I plan to share my journey of transitioning from being a huge meat eater to being plant-based, but that’s a story for another day.
I’ve been so inspired by all the vegan chefs and foodies out there and I love seeing the creations on social media, especially on Instagram. I share a lot of plant based cooking and food on my Instagram stories. I decided to start sharing a few favorites on my website.
I looove sweet potatoes! It is such a versatile ingredient and can be used in so many ways. I was inspired by the Minimalist Baker’s Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potato Recipe. I just made a few small tweaks but the credit for the original recipe definitely goes to her.
So many beautiful colors, flavors and textures!
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes (you can sub these for yucca, yams or purple potatoes as well)
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained) I buy mine from Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. You can also save the chickpea water or aquafaba to use for another recipe. Aquafaba makes for an awesome egg white substitute. Here are some ways you can use it.)
- ½ Tbsp EVOO (I use Avocado oil sometimes)
Seasoning Spice Mix
- ½ Tbsp: Sea salt, black pepper, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, chili powder, ground coriander, cinnamon, paprika, saffron, ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp: Tumeric (I looove turmeric so I use this spice very liberally on my food and drinks. You can add as less if you want.)
Lemon Garlic Hummus Sauce
- 1/4 cup plain hummus (Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s)
- ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
- Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce (because that Red Rooster sriracha sauce makes everything so much better!)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup arugula
- ½ cup mixed greens (bag from Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s)
*Disclaimer: I like heat in my food so if you don’t like spicy food, you don’t need to add the sriracha and as much chili powder and cayenne pepper)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray large baking sheet with EVOO or use foil
- Rinse and clean all your potatoes and veggies
- Cut sweet potatoes in half to cook faster and place on baking sheet. Rub EVOO on the sweet potatoes and lightly sprinkle with the Seasoning Mix then lay face down. (You don’t want to add too much and take away from the sweetness of the potatoes)
- Mix drained chickpeas with Seasoning Spice Mix and place on baking sheet
- Roast sweet potatoes and chickpeas for about 35-40 minutes. (The Minimalist Baker’s recipe said 25 minutes but mine took longer for the sweet potatoes to roast and soften. Use a fork to check if they are baked thoroughly.)
- Mix together the ingredients for your Lemon Garlic Hummus Sauce while your sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting. Make sure you taste your sauce to see if you need to adjust the flavor and consistency to your liking by adding a little more almond milk or water, salt or lemon juice.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven, add Salad Toppings, roasted chickpeas and Lemon Garlic Hummus Sauce.
- Serve immediately while hot and fresh. ENJOY!
Hope you all enjoyed this recipe! Thank you again for the inspiration Minimalist Baker!
Follow me on social media to see all my latest stories and photos:
For exciting info on upcoming events and consciously created content, please SUBSCRIBE HERE!